Wednesday 13 January 2010

Cancer treatment options

I am sorely disappointed that our government should choose to model its cancer treatments after USA only, which based its treatments mostly on drugs supplied by the big pharmaceutical companies. The drugs used are mostly toxic in nature with lots of side effects, and sometimes deadly.

Germany would have been a better choice as it has been a leader in natural and alternative cancer therapies for a long time.

It has taken our government a long time before it recently gave the go ahead for traditional Chinese medicine the recognization as an alternative form of treatment.

I wonder how many more years it will take our government to realize that chemotherapy and radiation are not the best therapies for cancer. I wonder how many patients who not only do not recover and end up dead after being milked dry financially by the doctors who insisted on chemo and radiation as the preferred therapies.

I had just formed an acquaintance with another cancer patient. She said sometimes the cancer did not respond to the drugs prescribed, so her oncologist will introduced another one. She realised that her onco had lined up a whole range of drugs and she was going through the drugs by trial and error. I have heard of this before and it is precisely what the oncos are doing - trial and error. In the meantime the drugs that had no effect on the cancer cells are killing the good cells thus weakening the body.

If my memory did not fail me, I vaguely recalled a newspaper article claiming that cancer patients in Singapore are living longer now. How so? I am not convinced when a rough gauge of the obituaries in the daily papers and those that I know of seemed to tell a different story.

No comments: