Tuesday 16 October 2012

Onco visit 15 Oct 2012

12 Oct 2012 - cancer marker 155

I saw my doctor on 15 Oct 2012, Monday.

With the cancer marker up and the tumors still present, my doctor cancelled my navelbine infusion.  She put me on Femara (Letrozole).

Femara is a type of hormone therapy known as aromatase inhibitor, which works by reducing the amount of estrogen produced in the bodies of post-menopausal women.

I was given a 1 month's free trial, and at the end of which, I have to purchase another 2 months' supply before I see my doctor on 31 Dec 2012.

According to the Femara website, Femara has the following side effects :
may cause decreases in the density of bones, increases in bone fractures and osteoporosis, so monitoring the density of the bones may be required;
may cause an increase in cholesterol;
may cause fatigue, dizziness and drowsiness;
may cause moderate, temporary decreases in white blood cell counts.

The most serious side effects seen with Femara are bone effects (fractures, decreased bone density and osteoporosis) and increases in cholesterol.  Other common side effects seen with Femara include joint pain, nausea, weight decrease, vaginal irritation, and pain in the extremities.  Other important less commonly reported side effects include blood clots, other cancers, stroke, heart attack and endometrial cancer.

No comments: