Saturday 31 March 2012

My Veins

Cancer patients who received conventional treatment undergo countless blood tests.  I am not sure if the countless drawing of blood samples for testing caused the veins to constrict and sometimes slow down the blood flow.

I am not the only one with this problem and a lot of cancer patients whom I got to know have this problem as well.  If we noticed a new staff at the blood lab who was not so experienced in taking blood samples, we would try to avoid by requesting for the services of the more experienced staff.  It is no laughing matter to be poked more than once to draw blood.

I encountered once where my blood sample was taken by a new staff and it could not be used, so they had to draw another sample.

Twice, my blood sample hemolyzed and my potassium level was higher than normal.  The second time it happened, the hospital was concerned enough to call me to get myself admitted through A&E.  Low potassium level can cause fainting and high potassium level can be fatal.  I did not go to A&E as I knew my blood sample had hemolyzed.

On 12 Dec 2011, when I was warded for coop loop procedure, I was pierced 5 times by 4 nurses in attempts to set a plug and draw blood sample.

1st, a nurse came to set a plug.  The needle was in place, but no blood flow.  As requested by the doctor, she had used a big needle.  A mistake, as all the staff in the blood lab at National Cancer Centre (NCC) knew that only the finest needles can be used on our veins.  The plug was removed.

2nd, a 2nd nurse came to set another plug with a smaller needle.  It looked okay, but when she inserted a testtube to collect blood sample, the blood stopped flowing.  She removed the testtube and the blood flowed.  However, when she put the testtube back a second time, my blood was not co-operating and stopped flowing again.  She removed the testtube and used a syringe to draw the blood through the plug.  There was too little blood and too much bubbles that it could not be used.

3rd, 2nd nurse removed the plug and poked another hole, but there was no blood.

4th, 3rd nurse poked another hole, set the plug and managed to get a sample.

5th, 4th nurse came, poked another hole and collected a second sample.  I think it was because the plug was in use then and she had to poke another hole.

Fortunately I was not afraid of needles otherwise it would have been quite dramatic.

In the warm sunlight, the veins are usually quite obvious.  However, in the air-conditioned NCC, especially the 3rd level, where the ambulatory treatment unit (ATU) is for chemotherapy, the veins become inconspicuous and seemed to have gone into hiding.

I remembered in 2008, when I was warded in SGH after passing out and hitting my head, a young doctor on duty came to collect blood sample.  She pierced a spot near my elbow but could not draw blood.  Instead of trying another spot, she started digging around looking for my elusive blood.  She stopped only when I suggested that she try another spot.  Unfortunately, the vein that she pierced was the same one that I had chemotherapy by iv just a few days ago.  Later the chemo leaked and caused blisters on my skin.

In January 2008, I was warded in Changi Hospital for chest tap.  The most junior doctor (she told me herself) came to collect blood sample.  She collected 1 testtube and was unable to stem the blood from flowing while she changed the testtubes.  I had to help her and she managed to collect another sample.

No comments: