Tuesday 10 July 2012

Onco visit, CTscan & blood test

9 July 2012 - cancer marker is 104, up from 85.2 on 25 Jun 2012.

CTscan  results :

Liver - 1 lump stable in segment 7, some other lumps are smaller
Right kidney and right ureter - calculus stable
Bones - Left lamina of C7 (cervical - last vertebra in neck area) seemed worse; other bony metastases are stable
Right thyroid lobe - incidental hypodensity stable since 16 Dec 2011
Lungs - patchy scarring (left by tumors)
Left adrenal gland - stable
Right chest wall - signs of local recurrence

As I would be having Zometa for my bones, my doctor suggested seeing the dentist to have my teeth fixed before chemo by iv.  An appointment with the dentist was fixed.

Zometa prevents the release of calcium from bones but it has side effects.

Zometa can harm the kidneys and cause osteonecrosis of the jaw or bone loss in the jaw, which is why I have to fix my teeth first before receiving Zometa.  I do not understand how Zometa can cause bone loss in the jaw and yet it is supposed to prevent release of calcium from bones.

I was scheduled to start herceptin and navelbine on 16 July 2012.

No comments: