Saturday 21 April 2012

Tykerb and Xeloda side-effects

When I started on Tykerb, the pharmacist warned me not to take grapefruit.  I have never liked grapefruit so it did not bother me and I didn't ask why.

I had experienced some side-effects when I was on Tykerb and Xeloda.  I had dry cough, shortness of breath (I actually had shortness of breath even before I started on Tykerb and it was due to pleural effusion), nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, darkening of the skin on the fingers and toes as well as on my elbows and knees.  I used to rest my elbows on my knees while vomiting or coughing, or resting in a sitting position as my back ached.

I noticed that all the conventional treatment has made my throat dry and sensitive.  If I am not careful with swallowing liquid, even saliva, I would choke and start coughing.  Even a sudden intake of air would trigger a coughing spasm.

The skin around my nails were dry.  The skin on the soles of my feet could be peeled off in chunks, which caused my oncologist to reduce my Tykerb dosage.  I had actually reduced the dosage earlier without informing my doctor, and yet the side-effects were so bad.

I was perspiring a lot and I had noticed that my perspiration and urine stank of chemical smell.  A friend was visiting and she thought I had not showered.

Tykerb can also cause hepatoxicity and I wondered if that is the reason I felt pain in the liver area.

No comments: